Mimi's Yummy Mummy’s Tea Party Just In Time For Mother's Day
We are feeling very lucky and indulgent after being sent these fantastic Mother's Day recipes from customer Mimi. Enjoy scones, cake and all things delicious this Sunday with your loved ones. What a treat!
Menu> Cheese, sundried tomato and thyme scones
> Mimi’s choccie brownies
> Gin & tonic cake
- 250g SR flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 40g butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- About 100ml milk
- Rub the butter, baking powder and flour together in a bowl to make a mixture resembling fine breadcrumbs... stir in the sugar
- Beat the egg in a cup then add enough milk to make up to 100ml of liquid. Slowly add the egg/milk mixture into the scone mix until you get a soft sticky dough.
- Turn out mixture onto a floured board and roll out to about 2cms thick. Cut out scones and place onto a lined baking tray and glaze the top with a little beaten egg. Cook at 220 degrees c for about 8 mins until we’ll risen and golden. Take out of oven and cook.... serve with jam and whipped cream for the perfect treat on Mother’s Day ❤️
- As an alternative for a savoury option: omit the sugar and add 100g grated cheddar and 75g chopped sun dried tomatoes and a pinch of fresh thyme leaves. Cook as before 😋
These are moist, buttery little cakes which are perfect for a Mother’s Day treat with a pot of tea ❤️
- 200g butter
- 225g icing sugar
- 75g plain flour
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 6 egg whites
- 150g fresh raspberries
- 25g flaked almonds
- One or two non-stick muffin trays or silicone muffin tray
- Grease the muffin tray... heat oven to 180 degrees c
- Melt butter and leave to cool. Mix icing sugar, ground almond and flour in a bowl then add almond extract.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and glossy. Add egg whites and melted butter to the dry ingredients and gently fold together until combined.
- Divide mixture into the muffin tin (u may need to use two tins or cook them in batches). Fill muffin holes to about 3/4’s full, add 2 or 3 raspberries to each one and sprinkle top with a few flakes almonds. Cook for about 10-12 mins or until firm in the centre. Take out of oven and leave to cool then turn out of the tin and dust with icing sugar before serving x
Mimi’s Chocolate Brownies
- 130g plain flour
- 200g dark chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 325g caster sugar
- 175g butter
- Melt the chocolate and butter together.... mix the flour, eggs and caster sugar in a large bowl then stir in the melted chocolate and butter until all combined and smooth.
- Pour into a brownie tin, lined with grease-proof paper and cook in the oven at 180 degrees c for about 23-25 mins until crusty on the top but soft underneath.
- Take out of oven and cool.... cut into small bite sized squares and dust with icing sugar.
Gin & Tonic Cake 😉💕
- 250g butter
- 325g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250g SR flour
- 75g natural yoghurt
- Juice of 2 limes
- 75ml gin
- 150ml tonic water
- 1tsp crushed juniper berries
- Zest of 3 limes
- Heat oven to 180 degrees c and grease and line 2 x 20cms cake tins.
- Cream butter and 200g caster sugar together in a mixer, add one egg at a time, then fold in the flour. Mix together the yoghurt, juice of 1 lime and 50ml gin in a separate bowl then add to the cake mixture. Meanwhile make the syrup.... dissolve 125g caster sugar with the crushed juniper berries, tonic water and juice of 1 lime... then boil for 5-7 mins until the mixture thickens slightly. Keep an eye on it in case it burns ...
- Divide the cake mixture into the two cake tins and cook for 20-25 mins until risen and golden. Take out of oven and cool for 5 mins then turn out onto a wire tray, pierce the top of the cakes all over with a skewer and pour the prepared syrup over the sponges and spread evenly with a palette knife. Leave to cool....
- Make the butter icing by mixing the butter and icing sugar and zest of 3 limes until smooth.
- Assemble the cake by placing one sponge on a plate and spread with 1/3 of the butter icing. Top with the other sponge and then spread the remaining icing all over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with thin slices of limes and lemons and zest a lime and lemon over the top.
- Leave to set and firm up in the fridge for about an hour..... enjoy ❤️