With the summer months on the horizon what better way to celebrate than with some light and delicious recipes? Mimi has provided us with some delightful asparagus dishes to make use of the seasonal vegetable that many of us grow in the garden. Thank you Mimi!
Classic Asparagus Soup
Serves 4 as a starter
- 25g butter
- 2 shallots, diced
- 700g asparagus, chop the stems and reserve the tips
- 850ml chicken stock
- Melt butter and cook shallots and asparagus stems gently until soft for about 10 mins.
- Keep stirring .... Add stock and simmer for a further 5 mins until veg is soft. Remove from heat and cool.
- Liquidise soup until smooth and keep warm. Cook asparagus tips in boiling water for 2 mins and drain well. To serve: heat the soup up, top with the asparagus tips and a drizzle of cream!
Grilled Asparagus With Parsley & Garlic Dip
- 1kg asparagus
- Olive oil
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
For the dip:
- 5tbsp mayonnaise
- 200ml full-fat creme fraiche
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Bring a shallow saucepan of water to the boil, add asparagus and boil for 2-3 mins until tender.
- Drain and run under cold water until asparagus is cool
- Preheat grill to high... oil a shallow ovenproof dish, arrange the asparagus in the dish in a single layer and drizzle with oil, S&P and scatter Parmesan over the top.
- Grill for 3-5 mins until the cheese has melted.
- Mix all dip ingredients together and serve with the hot asparagus and granary bread. Delicious and light for a girls summer lunch !
Asparagus And Salmon Terrine
- 150g salmon fillet
- 8 large asparagus spears, woody stem snapped off
- 500g smoked salmon slices
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 75g butter
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 180 degrees ...
- Grease a 450g loaf tin then line with a double layer of clingfilm. Place salmon fillet in a piece of tin foil with s&p and make a parcel. Cook for 12mins. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Cook asparagus spears in boiling water for 3-4 mins then remove from water and plunge into a bowl of ice cold water to cool. Drain and pat dry.
- Line the base of the loaf tin with smoked salmon then cut the remaining salmon into slices to fit the 4 sides leaving a little overhanging and reserve one piece for the top. You should have some salmon left over...
- Place the remaining salmon into a food processor with the cold salmon fillet, chives, cream cheese, creme fraiche and butter and lemon juice. Blend until smooth and season.
- Spread half the salmon mousse into the tin, and top with the asparagus spears laying them head to tail so they fit tightly into the tin. Top with the remaining mousse and finish with the last piece of smoked salmon.
- Cover terrine with cling film and leave to chill for at least 7 hours in the fridge until really firm.
This will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days ❤️Finally open up the clingfilm and turn the terrine out onto a plate and cut into slices.
Asparagus And Cheese Tart
- 1 block ready-roll shortcrust pastry
- 350g asparagus
- 45g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1tbsp Parmesan, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 284ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Roll out the pastry and line a 7” loose bottom tart tin with the pastry. Prick the base all over with a fork and bake in oven for 20 mins then take out of oven, paint the bottom and sides of the pastry case with the beaten egg and return to oven for a further 5 mins to seal the pastry case. Remove from oven and cool.
- Meanwhile steam the asparagus spears for 4-5 mins until just tender. Chop the asparagus into 4cm lengths and arrange on the base of the pre-baked pastry case. Beat eggs with cream and cheddar cheese then pour over the asparagus spears and sprinkle with Parmesan .
- Place tart on baking tray and cook for 25-30 mins until filling is golden and centre is firm.
- Serve in slices with a crisp green salad
Asparagus Picnic Puffs
- 1 x packet ready rolled puff pastry
- 6 slices Parma ham
- 12 asparagus spears, remove woody stem at the bottom
- 6 slices of mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 beaten egg for glazing
- Cut the puff pastry in half then cut each half into three equal pieces so you have 6 squares.
- Wrap two asparagus spears in each slice of Parma ham. Place each bundle into the centre of each pastry square and top with a piece of mozzarella cheese.
- Loosely wrap two edges of the square to meet the asparagus bundle in the middle and press firmly to overlap the filling and secure the pastry. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 25-30 mins until golden brown.
Ribboned Asparagus Salad With Avocado Dressing
- 800g asparagus
- 1 cucumber
- 16 mixed cherry tomatoes
- 100g flat leaf parsley
- 20g Parmesan
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 3tbsp lemon juice
- Half a ripe avocado
- Snap ends off asparagus. Using a veg peeler start from the bottom of the spear and shave upwards to create thin ribbons, place in a serving bowl.
- Next chop cucumber into bite-size pieces and halve all the tomatoes.
- Chop parsley and toss everything about together in the bowl.
- To make dressing simply blitz all ingredients in a blender. Add a little more oil if too thick. Toss the salad with the avocado dressing and season with S&P... finally add a few shavings of Parmesan